Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.

How to Obtain a Marriage License

In order to obtain a marriage license, both parties must appear together to fill out the  Intention of Marriage at any Town Clerk's Office in Massachusetts.  

The Marriage License is valid for sixty (60) days.  There is a three-day waiting period. (N.B. Couples marrying on a Saturday must apply by Tuesday of the week of the ceremony to have a license issued on Friday before the wedding.)  If you require a waiver of the 3 day waiting period, the couple may file a petition for Marriage without Delay at the Probate Court for Norfolk County in Canton.  The probate court fee is $195.

The fee in Wellesley is $30.00.

There is no requirement for a blood test for marriage in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

There is no requirement for identification unless there is a question as to the age of the parties.

Age Requirement - A Massachusetts resident may marry if he or she is 18 years of age or older.  A birth certificate may be required to show proof of age.  If one or both parties is under 18, a court order from a probate or district court for Norfolk County must be obtained BEFORE the Intention of Marriage can be filed.

Divorced Applicants do not need to show evidence of prior marriage dissolution.  However it is important that an individual who has been divorced be certain that his/her divorce is absolute.  In Massachusetts, a divorce does not become absolute until 90 days after the divorce nisi has been granted.

Massachusetts does not require that witnesses be present at your ceremony.

The Officiant is responsible for completing and signing the original license and returning it to the clerk of the town where the license was issued. The officiant may be a member of the clergy, justice of the peace, or a one-day solemnizer.

Town Clerk Kathleen Nagle is a Justice of the Peace and performs solemnizations at Town Hall weekdays only, after business hours.  Please contact her directly to make arrangements. (781)431-1019 ext 2250.

If the officiant is an out-of-state clergy member, the clergyperson must obtain a Certificate of Authorization from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony.  This certificate is attached to the license and returned to the town clerk.

If you wish to have a relative or family friend solemnize the marriage, he/she can apply for a  One-Day Designation to Solemnize a Marriage.  The fee is $25.

For additional Information please contact the Town Clerk's Office 781-431-1019 ext 2250.


Wellesley Town Hall  525 Washington St., Wellesley, MA 02482
Phone: (781) 431-1019
Home    Meeting Calendar    Contact Us    Policies    Virtual Towns & Schools Website